Thursday, October 18, 2012

Peanut butter

Yesterday after work I decided it would be great to finally run outside. While I knew my time wouldn’t be as great as my treadmill runs, I didn’t totally expect the results I got.

The sun was shining, the temperature was ideal and the route chosen was beautiful. I would run beside a river on a gravel trail and only had a distance of 8km to go. Should be easy for me, right? Wrong. I also figured it would be good to try and keep up with an experienced looking runner. You know, the kind who has every running gadget strapped on, has read every article on how to improve technique and time and likely runs half marathons on weekends. Well that was stupid idea. Although I have been consistent with my runs, it was clear to me I need to add more outdoor routes. I have plainly forgotten this marathon will be run outside and not in the comfort of my gym on a treadmill. And to top of disappointing results, I managed to bugger up my left knee.

Thankfully today is my day of rest, and I will utilize the opportunity to learn more about how I can become a better runner. I think if the experienced runner who I tried to follow yesterday could give me some advice; it would be to do more research on tips to having a successful run. And they would surely tell me “What the heck is wrong with you – get your butt outside and run in the beautiful weather. Your marathon won’t be run in the little box of a treadmill.” I will happily take this advice and once I am ready, I will set out again and try and keep up with gadget super speed tighty pants runner.

 I think this is maybe a point where someone in my shoes would get discouraged. My nike+ will tell me I am slow and yell at me to pick it up, but I am simply going to look at this as an opportunity to improve.
 
Besides, my run tonight was still better than anyone who was sitting on a couch.
Today's distance:             8.04km
Today's time:                    51:36.14

Beautiful, scenic run :)








 
If nike+ could talk...
Gotta stay positive!



No comments:

Post a Comment