Saturday, October 27, 2012

Chin up day

Today my mood matched the weather. Kind of grey and sad. It was a tough day on a number of fronts but I did my best to keep smiling and be happy.

Earlier this week my mom asked me if I could help her pick out a monument for my father’s grave. It has been a number of years since his passing but has been a task proven to be difficult to do. How do you find a giant slab of stone which conveys to onlookers the type of person who rests there? How do you select a stone knowing that it too will one day be yours? It was tough on my mom as this was the one final step in closure. How appropriate for it to rain hard all day long, like tears from heaven. We managed to pick out the perfect stone with little touches that will tell a beautiful story for future generations and shows the love my parents had for each other.

After this, combined with dearest and nearest friends moving away, nothing felt better than escaping into a run. My body is so sore from a 90 minute weight session yesterday but I really felt like I needed the distraction. It took little effort to ease into a comfortable pace and immediately nothing mattered. No looking at time, no increasing speed, no worries at all. My legs felt great, my breathing was bang on and just short of an hour I knew that I got what I needed. After, I spent a good 30 minutes on weights and took my time stretching before heading home.

I just finished a chapter from my book on the mental benefits of running. While non-runners may roll their eyes at a lot of what is said, I firmly believe running is an outlet to help me manage a lot of the challenges life throws at me. There are occasions healing can take a long time, and running is reminder of how strong and powerful I am, and that I can overcome it.

While everyday can’t be the super awesome major big smiling days I’d like, it’s comforting to know there are moments in every day where I’m filled with sunshine.
 
Today's distance: 11.08
Today's time: 58:22.28
 

No comments:

Post a Comment