Monday, October 29, 2012

Dance in the rain

Another week, another shot at new opportunities, another chance for improvement, but apparently not an option to run outside. The rain, 64km an hour wind, and near zero temps would turn me into a frizzy popsicle within minutes. Right when I was totally convinced I could make headway in the great outdoors, I am forced to run in the confines of the box of a treadmill. Who am I kidding, I love treadmills! Plus, with all the pandemonium of the storm of the century, fitness clearly wasn’t on people’s minds and I had all tvs to tune into my house hunting, housewife and singing shows at the gym.

While my schedule today indicated my run time, it didn’t advise on what type of run I should have. So, I decided to ramp up my speed today and push myself. With a day off yesterday (which included eating a cupcake and candy. Yep, I felt guilty…for like 2 seconds…) I felt refreshed and ready to go. From the get-go it was easy to pick up the pace and get my breathing on cue. I surprised myself too that I was able to maintain a faster pace and pick it up again for 2 kms towards the tail end of my run. To say it felt great was an understatement. I hit new personal best times - fastest km at 4:27 and fastest 5k at 23:34. Every movement was fluid, every step felt stronger and every blip of my watch made my smile grow bigger. Sure, I’m still a long way away from where I need to be, but I’m a heck of a lot closer than I was in all my days before.

The storm will certainly slow down so much this week but the next couple of days will be filled with so much exciting activity for me. Work is keeping me on my toes with new accounts coming on board and travel the next few weeks. My training schedule is going to get more intense and I’m going to be starting classes to compliment the cardio. I’m looking forward to all of it and will embrace every bit as a chance to better myself on all levels.

Come hell or high water and everything that life will throw at me, I have decided that there will be no dust on the pages of the story of my life.

Today’s distance: 13 km
Today’s time: 1:03.00

No comments:

Post a Comment