Saturday, September 29, 2012

My nothingness

Well, another week has come and gone and I have been looking forward to this weekend for over a month now. While typically people look forward to a big event or happening, I was simply looking forward to nothing. Yes, nothing. A weekend without a big to do, one where I could sleep in and take on things as they came. One where I could go for a run on Friday, make popcorn and make my list of everything I wasn’t going to do on Saturday and Sunday.

My Friday night plans changed when I got a call in the afternoon asking if I could do flower arrangements for my girlfriend’s business as she just had a baby. Without hesitating I agreed, but quickly realized that the fate of the wedding flowers was in my hands. Luckily, the arrangements weren’t complicated and the time spent surrounded by such beautiful flowers was almost therapeutic. They were my favourite, gerbera daisies, and working with them melted any worries or stress I had and it felt great to know these flowers were part of a plan so many months in the making. It was shortly after 9pm when I got home and I just needed to eat and get to sleep so unfortunately I have nothing to report in regards to my training for Friday.

However, I am very happy to report that my Saturday morning was spent in my favourite manner – sleep in, multiple cups of coffee and lounging in my pajamas. This was the first time in about 8 weeks that I could enjoy this simple pleasure and I relished every moment. And here I was thinking my morning couldn’t get any better when I got a surprise text – it was Chrissy and she wanted to go to the gym! Heck ya! I tamed my wild hair and headed off to the gym to meet her. While I wasn’t able to convince her to go running, we did weights and had our girly catch up and I had a short run afterwards. I wish it was longer but I don’t think I ate a big enough breakfast to sustain a longer distance run. The weather was all over the place and when I was running it hit about 22 degrees. It was okay to bask in but I definitely prefer the cooler temps for running. The balance of my afternoon was hanging out at home and doing all the wonderful domestic chores which have been put on hold amidst my recent schedule madness.

Tonight was a celebration of one of my long time friend’s 30th birthday. The crowd there was the same as when we were back in high school and the local Tim Horton’s was the ultimate hangout destination. It was good to see old friends and catch up on their lives. It’s crazy to see how quickly time flies and how much can change, and how much can stay the same.

Sometimes plans don’t work out the way you wanted, sometimes they are better. Sure some little things disrupted my weekend of nothing-ness, but if this is what is in store then I can’t wait to see what tomorrow holds for me.

Today’s distance: 6.02 km

Today’s time: 40:29

No comments:

Post a Comment