Sunday, September 23, 2012

Everybody's working for the weekend

This weekend came and went very quickly. It was an invaluable learning experience as I attended a work tradeshow in an industry that I am still learning, and quite frankly, fascinates me to no end. The natural food and health industry is a wild mix of lotions and potions made from every plant around the globe, and there are supplement powders and pills to cure every type of ailment you could ever possibly encounter in your life. There are breakfast cereals to increase your libido, foods to increase your workout endurance and water derived from the depth of the Canadian Shield that is as black as motor oil. While I had the pleasure of educating folks of my products, I soaked in as much as I could in the two days.

Saturday morning was a busy day with an early start and a late finish. While all intentions were there to get in a run or workout, it wasn’t possible given the hours of my work schedule. I know I know…no excuses right? Well I’m happy to say that when the show was over today, I packed up quickly, said goodbye to my new industry friends and hit the road. I was so pumped to get changed quickly and grab my gear and get running, but learnt that nike+ had no battery power. While I waited for it to charge up, I watched the sun set lower and lower. Clearly this was not a good sign and meant I couldn’t hit the country roads. Thankfully, my very small town has some surveys that are lit so I took full advantage of those lovely neighbourhoods. It felt so great to take in the cold air and is the first time and months I could see my breath with every exhale. The kms were easy, even considering the multiple inclines I faced.
I had a great conversation at the show with a female fitness pro and learnt more about some challenges and stereotypes faced. She is 4 weeks away from competing for a big title and I can only imagine the stress and challenges she is facing to be in the best shape possible. When I asked her more about her goals, she mentioned that she would love to one day run a marathon. It really made me smile to know that even at a professional level, it is still a great feat and one that takes time to achieve.

And while I may never compete for any sort of bodybuilding competition, it’s good to know my new knowledge, new friends and new spirulina natural supplement  will keep me on the right track.
Me and Simone the fitness pro!

 

Today’s distance: 7.56kms

Todays’s time: 55:16

No comments:

Post a Comment