Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Inspire. Transpire. Perspire.

Although today is only day three of training and this new journey, I’m feeling really great. Actually, I’m feeling better than I have in a long time. There is something that happens when working out that makes me feel calmer, balanced and powerful. At times I joke that in the event of a zombie apocalypse, it is good to know that I will have enough stamina to outrun them…at least for a little bit. And while  running advice always tells you to keep your head up and eyes on the road ahead,  I love to deviate every now and then and see my legs moving quickly beneath me and feel the power behind each step. 

Getting to this feeling didn’t happen overnight and for some people it will usually take a series of events to feel inspired to get moving. So many people around me have inspired me in many aspects of my life lately - do something kind for a complete stranger, try something I’ve always wanted to do, even run a marathon.  Seeing transformation around me makes me want to move forward and better myself in so many ways. I try to encourage my family to do the same and remind them it doesn’t all have to happen in one day but to start making little changes and to look for inspiration daily.
Today was an incredible day to run outside. The temperatures made it very comfortable and I picked a time when the sun was setting and the light made the fall colours glow. Within my first km my legs became really tense and immediately my mind told me to stop. Of course it is a natural reaction when things get difficult, but instead I chose to suck it up. Clearly this is going to be hard and there will be days when my body screams at me to go home and sit on the couch. While it would have been simple to head home, I decided to slow down my pace and go for an easy but still very satisfying jog.

Nike says it best – just do it.  And on tonight’s run it sure was good to have motivating messages pop up on my new watch to reassure me I can keep going. The next challenge to figure out all the other features!
Ready to run outdoors!
 
Today’s distance: 5.23km
Today’s time: 38:29

No comments:

Post a Comment