Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Give back


Today I feel really inspired to write. I was really lucky to be a part of a team today and give back to the community by volunteering. While it was just a couple of hours, I’m not going to lie – I was so touched by learning so much about small gestures that benefit so many people in need.

So, I can think of dozens of times I’ve made a donation to a food bank. I’m sure we all can. Sadly, I can think only of two times that I have taken the time to learn what happens to all those cans and boxes and about the people who receive them. The amount of work and effort required to help feed those in need is so great and the planning is so well orchestrated and has brought a new appreciation to me on many levels. While our team today was hard at work at “de-retailing” crackers (we took the brand name boxes off the sleeves of crackers), we also received the opportunity to see how the food bank operates. We learned some stats that came as a surprise…one in twenty people use assistance from the food bank in our region. Sure, we all know that every community has a food bank, but to think that so many people need assistance never crossed my mind. It felt good to know that even just a few hours of time would help bring food to so many people. Maybe even people I know.

Today I didn’t get to run. After my Sunday run, my knee started acting up again and I spent a good part of yesterday hobbling around. It was painful enough for me to book an appointment to see what the heck is going on and how I can prevent this from happening. So, to keep going with my cardio I set off to another hour long spin class. It felt great again to work on a different group of muscles and overall I am satisfied with today’s workout of over 22 miles.  I’ll try out a small run tomorrow and see how I’m feeling…fingers crossed.

Tomorrow I’m heading away for work and am looking forward to the new opportunities. Things are looking so positive for 2013 and today I was so proud of everyone I work with. I think today I also gave new appreciation and thanks to all the food I ate.

Hopefully the little things we did today will help fuel someone to do great and wonderful things in their life too.
 
Hard at work

No comments:

Post a Comment