Sunday, December 2, 2012

Keeping spirits bright

I am very pleased to be writing this by a crackling fire, all bundled up with a tea in hand. I am also very pleased to share the news that anyone who subscribes to bell expressvu can also tune into the same beautiful fire, accompanied by a wonderful assortment of Christmas tunes from one hit wonder bands!

Yesterday was the perfect day to stay inside and keep cozy - there was snow on the ground, the fog was thick and the damp air made it so gloomy. However, after my favourite weekend routine, I laced up and made my way outdoors. This was the first time in a long time I've had to worry about running with snow on the ground, but I was so pleased with my new kicks and am confident that I can keep myself vertical.

Cutting back so drastically on running has done two things: given me more energy for when I do run, but also a toll on my mentality that has me thinking maybe running isn't for me. Of course I only think this on the days I'm not out there and need to continue to remind myself this is just a blip, this too shall pass. My distance yesterday was only 5.5kms, but the feeling of being out there, doing what I love, instilled the confidence that I can do this. It would be great to report my knee and back are 100%, but I did struggle with some aches afterwards and It was in my best interest to take it easy today.

I know there are articles and resources available, and the majority would tell me that I do not have the physical build to be a runner. But I don't care. Because I am a runner. And I will continue to be one. So now, I will head downstairs to be by the real wood burning fireplace, and the twinkling lights of my Christmas tree to help keep my spirits bright.



No comments:

Post a Comment