Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Next steps

So, I am happy to report I no longer have cooties! Turns out I had a lung infection which required a round of antibiotics to kick it and I should have gone to the doctors sooner. Either way, I had a huge chunk of time not being active and lots of long sleeps and couch Olympics.

What a surprise to get back running yesterday and doing so with ease. I got through 7.5 kms and decided it was best to start with that this week and not over do it. Today after work I hammered out a great weight session focusing on legs and core. And I can't lie...if my soreness now is any indication of how tomorrow will feel, it will be one heck of a slow day.

The past few weeks I've been checking out upcoming half marathons. It's time to pick one for the spring so there is a commitment, a goal, to push myself every week and work towards it. Time to action it and move forward! This past weekend I had the pleasure of discussing running with extended family and I learned that someone I know was once such an elite runner. He shared advice on selecting a run, tips for a good marathon and he did so with such passion...even now as a non-runner in his 70s. The best advice was to just do it, even if I just do it once, and to not put any expectations on myself for time or speed.

So there you have it. Words from the wise. I only hope to make to his age and beyond to share mine one day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment